Wednesday 1 April 2009

My Birthday presant, a 35mm Scanner

As it was my birthday last month I decided to treat my self to a dedicated 35mm scanner. after a bit of rummaging around and realising I cant afford a Nikon Coolscan V I found a Plustec 7300 which fitted the bill perfectly. I got mine from Campkins Cameras in Cambridge where I get most of my stuff from. Its a proper camera shop staffed by people who know what they are talking about and while their prices aren't the cheapest they are competitive and you always get what you need with good service, worth paying for to me.



I've had the scanner a few weeks now and after a recent trip to Walton on the Naze with the family I had a good bunch of negatives to scan and these are the results.




This last scan was from a roll I shot in Norfolk, but before I had changed the light seals, It still looks OK but it is noticeably more grainy and the colours are a little harsh compared to the recent scans above.


It took some fetteling with the settings and I am still not 100% convinced I've got it right yet. These were all scanned at 2400dpi with no colour adjusting or noise reduction, I have since imported them into iPhoto and cropped them a little, bit of dust removal and that's it. I am going to try a higher dpi next this should improve the detail and maintain a decent size even when cropped.

No comments:

Post a Comment